When it comes to energy, few types of facilities use more of it than hospitals and healthcare agencies. It is estimated that the average 200,000-square-foot, 50-bed hospital spends more than $680,000 on energy every year. Combined, healthcare facilities across the country spend roughly $6.5 billion on energy each year, and that number is constantly rising to meet the evolving needs of their patients.
So, why should hospitals care about energy management?
Hospitals can improve their bottom line by better managing their energy consumption. According to Energy Star, “every $1 a non-profit healthcare organization saves on energy is equivalent to generating $20 in new revenues for hospitals or $10 for medical offices. For-profit hospitals, medical offices, and nursing homes can raise their earnings per share a penny by reducing energy costs just 5 percent.”
By being more energy-efficient, hospitals around the world can:
- Save money
- Reduce greenhouse emissions
- Improve air quality
- Support their commitment to public health
What can hospitals do to conserve energy?
Even with facilities as complex as hospitals, energy savings aren’t hard to achieve. In fact, just making some of these small changes can have a big impact on your energy bill:
- Upgrade to LED lighting. LED light bulbs consume up to 80% less energy than incandescents, and can last up to ten times longer. You should also use natural lighting whenever possible to further trim your energy bills.
- Maintain all HVAC systems. Heating, cooling, and ventilation are responsible for roughly one-third of all hospital energy use. Using programmable thermostats and tuning up your HVAC system twice per year is a good way to start conserving energy.
- Install low-flow plumbing fixtures. It’s not just electricity being wasted, it’s water too. Installing low-flow sinks, showerheads, and toilets can reduce water consumption by 50% or more.
- Invest in an energy management system. Using power meters, submeters, and specially-designed computer software, energy management systems can help healthcare facilities reduce their energy consumption by 20% or more. If employed at every facility across the country, this would translate to more than $1 billion in savings.
Electro Industries has helped hospitals all over the world save energy, money, and the environment for the past 40+ years. To learn how we can help your healthcare facility, give us a call at (866) 928-7908.