Spring is in the air! As climates across the country transition from cold weather to more mild temperatures, business owners can expect changes on their energy bills. Let’s take a look at two major ways the spring season can impact your energy consumption:
Spring signals the end of the winter months, and the beginning of the warm season. Before long, business owners everywhere will be shutting down their furnaces and starting up their air conditioners in order to keep comfortable.
Here are a few tips to help you beat the heat without breaking the bank:
- Change your air filters each month.
- Have your cooling system professionally tuned up and inspected at the start of the season.
- Patch any holes in your ductwork.
- Invest in a programmable thermostat.
- Seal air leaks around windows and doors.
- Use ceiling fans to facilitate airflow and create a windchill effect.
- Keep your curtains closed to prevent the sun from warming up your office on hot days.
Daylight Savings Time
Along with the warmer temperatures, spring also brings more sunlight with each passing day. And thanks to the clock adjustment (don’t forget to spring ahead one hour!), this daylight is better-aligned with our work hours. Savvy energy managers can use this abundance of sunlight to their advantage. Some ways they can do this include:
- Installing solar panels to convert sunlight into energy.
- Keeping the curtains open to reduce the need for artificial lighting.
- Warming their office on chilly days by keeping the curtains open.
Some businesses may find that their energy costs drop in the spring; others may experience a sharp increase. Every business is different. The best way to monitor your energy consumption is with a professionally-installed energy management system.
Electro Industries has been a worldwide supplier of power monitoring equipment and software for more than 40 years. We have helped businesses across the globe save energy, money, and the environment – let us help you. Give us a call at (866) 928-7908 to learn more about how our products can help your business, regardless of size or sector.